Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Howdy, I'm sweating.

Howdy from H. E. Double Hockey Sticks. I mean, Howdy.  Since this is my first post, let me apologize upfront to all the amazing, friendly and ever so supportive Texans in my life. Thank you for being patient with my adjustment issues, my complaining about the heat, and my heart's yearning to make peace with our decision to move back to this land that so many of you love. 

Here's the skinny, once I was gone from this place for a few years, I really did miss your stars at night, your big open skies, and well, your Luby's. (I know, I know, but you're just gonna have to trust me on that one, 'cuz it happens.)  After years of living the life in both Southern, then Northern California, the unthinkable happened. I had officially turned into a California Girl, minus the daisey dukes, bikini on top. I'm a mom of three, no one wants to see that anymore.)  Having survived my first summer here from  July 2011 - October 2011, which is apparently what folks around here call "summer", I feel like I'm finally in a position to start venting, I mean, helping others that might be making the transition, not just from my beloved California, but from pretty much any other state in the country, to Texas.  (See there, I wanted to be a wise ass and term it "God's country", but the whole thought process behind it that made me giggle might offend the GCB's. (Look it up, preferrably before the network cancels it.)   I digress, my point is, I moved here at the start of the "worst summer in the history of Texas". It was literally 100 degrees for 100 days in a row...except that one day when the cool front came in and it was a chilly 99.  I literally thought we had taken a wrong turn and ended up in Hell.  But guess what? I survived, and maybe you can too. I mean, you can too, with a little help from this journal, at least you will be properly warned, I mean, prepared.  **If you have any questions along the way, send them to me. I might be busy sweating through my MAC Studio Fix makeup, but I would love to answer them as honestly and as smartassly as possible.

So here we go. I find myself proceeding with a bit of caution, and a lot of hope that we can be friends again Texas, but first we have a few things to hash out....

13 comments:

  1. I cannot wait for all your rants, I mean advice!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mean... proceeding with caution, right? Wondering what security you set on this blog. Is it for anyone with a link, or can it be searchable via a search engine (i.e., Google). If it's out there for everyone, I think you'll get a lot of interesting comments. :)

    Either way, congratulations on your first blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can y'all paint a purty picture 'cause Gina might be applying for a job in Austin soon and right now the chances of me agreeing to move to the lone star state are as small as the balls on a skeeter.

    As you can see, however, I AM on disc 2 of Rosetta Stone-Texas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey there "Unknown", thanks for writing! if you follow me through this journey, you will see that i will always include the "bright" side, (damn, just saying bright reminds me of heat.) i vow to include something positive in each post. the truth is, this is about me. everyone i know is in love with this place and very, VERY, no VERY VERY proud to be a Texan. stay tuned for the good, because i promise, it'll be in here too.

      Delete
    2. I'm sure you realized this was Rich...not sure why it showed me as unknown when I actually signed in with my gmail address...:-)

      Delete
  4. It's a lovely 75 degrees in San Jose today. Miss you! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello laurel! it's only 80 today! i think i'm going to throw myself a party! i miss you too!

      Delete
    2. We do miss you here in Cali!!!

      Delete
  5. Hysterical, Jen! Can't wait to read all your Texas rants!! When you are sweating b*lls this summer, just repeat the following mantra... "my 'everyone has one' 2500+ sq ft home in Texas would be a multi-million dollar mansion only afforded by the extremely rich in California..." -Beth S.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so great, I can't wait to hear more! It should give me some food for thought as to whether to move back or not. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. "I had officially turned into a California Girl, minus the daisey dukes, bikini on top. I'm a mom of three, no one wants to see that anymore.)"

    Don't jump the gun on that one. I'd love to see that!!! ;-) LOL

    ReplyDelete