Tuesday, May 29, 2012

The Eyes of Texas Are Upon You

Here's a shocker, I'm in therapy.  I was delighted when the wait list cleared and I was finally able to see someone about my anxiety and adjustment issues.  Running a few minutes late and sweating (what else is new?) I finally found the little green awnings and made my way into my therapist's office.  God's sense of humor was on a roll that day, trust me.  As I plopped down into my little couch (sofa, for all you Texans out there) I look up and the first thing I notice above my Doc's head was this big, beautiful, amazing old print of....The Golden Gate Bridge.  Well played, irony, well played.

As I start to discuss a little bit about my anxiety issues, (some things even I know to keep private and off this blog, for now) I am hesitant to bring up my problems with Texas, but since it's more than half the reason I'm here, I let it flow.  I tell Doc that I hope I don't offend him, and that he's probably going to roll his eyes, but this girl ain't fully down with the ways of the big T.  "Listen, I'm from Philly", says Doc with a smile on his face, and then I knew I had found a new best friend.  He told me something interesting.  He said I'm not the only person he's working with right now, at this exact moment in time, that is having the same issue.  Of course he couldn't tell me much about this other gal other than she moved here recently from California, but suffice it to say she had also moved in to the "west side" (hmmmm) and that she wasn't feeling the local country club set that was surrounding her (hmmmm).  He told me that they are making progress and that she's now starting to wear her nose ring again in public.  I wanna go high five this girl, and I'm not even particularly a fan of the nose ring, but you get the point.  He gave me some good advice, none of which I'm ready to share yet, and a few Kleenex Puff boxes later, I inked my next appointment and headed to my car.

I get in my car.  Black might not have been the best choice.  I'm sweating and it's only May.  I blast the a/c. (Move tip #1, your automobile air conditioner must remain on high speed for at least five full minutes before you turn on the radio, lock your doors or fasten your seat belt.  It's a matter of survival.)  As I click the fan speed down and turn the radio up, I pull out onto the road home, still sniffling from my session.  My tears of pity are replaced by tears of "ARE YOU F'ing KIDDING ME?!". My own sweet little mini cooper speakers are betraying me. "The eyes of Texas are upon you, all the live long day!"  Full on, old fashioned trumpeted battle hymn of the early 1900's is now blasting out of my car.  I mean, come on, I had to laugh at this one.  Then just to rub it in so deep that I felt like I was being punked, it was followed up with George Strait proclaiming his love of this land with "If It Weren't For Texas".  As I drive through the (ok, they are beautiful) hills on the way home,  I'm left to think about the fact that I told the Doc, "If I think about living here for the rest of my life...."...and then I made that blow your head off gun gesture with my right hand while my left hand mimes out brains shooting out of my left ear.  The whole thing is just, well, damn humorous if you ask me.

Written by John Sinclair, 1903-

The Eyes of Texas are upon you,
All the live long day.
The Eyes of Texas are upon you,
You can not get away.
Do not think you can escape them
At night or early in the morn-
The Eyes of Texas are upon you
'Till Gabriel blows his horn.

On the plus side, there's a Steinmart not far from the therapist office. 

No comments:

Post a Comment